Friday, September 09, 2005

office assistant/tutor training

After turning in a total of two applications, one for a position it turns out was already filled, and having one interview, I was offered a job on campus. I am working in the TIP (Tutorial and Instructional Programs) office at Gallaudet as an office assistant. I am basically sitting at the front desk answering questions and helping students schedule sessions with tutors and writing advisors. It's certainly not the most thrilling job in the world, but I'm able to work from 9:00-2:00 on Tuesday and Thursday when I don't have class and even on my first day when I was learning the answers to the questions I was being asked, being shown the computer programs the office uses for scheduling, figuring out payroll stuff, and learning the various ins and outs of the office I had time to write a handful of emails. So... some money, some meeting students, and some down time. Not bad. It's possible I should have turned in an application to work in the theater helping build sets and paint and whatnot. Mighta been more fun, but whatever. I don't think the hours would have been nearly as good.

Also, when I was interviewed they asked if I would be interested in doing occassional tutoringl. I said I would be interested if it was something I had enough background to tutor. So... I'm also doing tutor training (mandatory for tutors), which I'm getting paid for. Five hours of training sessions (in one hour blocks) and 10 hours of online work. I'm not sure if I can technically start tutoring before I finish training or not, but because the semester just got started there isn't a huge demand yet anyway. It may well be the case that I finish the training and never tutor here. So why am I bothering? Because I will get a level one tutor certification that is recognized by colleges across the country. And why do I care about that? My English professor last semester said she would recommend me to be a peer writing assistant at Smith my senior year if I was interested. I figure if I have this training it will be one more reason to choose me over someone else... hopefully giving me a job senior year.

Yep. I have classes. And an athletic team. And a job. Smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home