gallaudet university american sign language proficiency interview
Some time toward the beginning of the semester I received a campus-wide email about the GU-ASLPI (Gallaudet University American Sign Language Proficiency Interview). It is offered free to students, staff and faculty so I decided to take advantage of the opportunity while I was here. I actually did both the GU-ASLPI and another assessment offered by the Center for ASL Literacy on campus. The GU-ASLPI provided me with a rating. The other assessment actually provided me with specific feedback (much more practical). But... for anyone who is interested I have been rated "Intermediate Plus" on a scale that goes: novice, survival, intermediate, advanced, superior. So, in other words, just above the middle. Somewhere between "intermediate" and "advanced." Which means... somewhere between:
Intermediate: "Able, with some confidence, to use some ASL grammar along with use of signs, fingerspelling, and numbers, in everyday communication needs related to social demands, work and/or study situations. In spite of occasional hesitations, there is fair to good control of everyday sign vocabulary with which to narrate and describe topics in some detail. In spite of some noticeable imperfections, errors rarely interfere with understanding. Comprehension is fairly good as repetition or rephrasing is needed only occasionally."
and
Advanced: "Able to use ASL grammar and vocabulary with sufficient accuracy to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations on social and work topics. There is spontaneous elaboration, when appropriate, on all familiar topics and unfamiliar topics alike. Vocabulary base is broad and conversation is fluent and shared. There is evidence of some colloquial use of cultural references. Comprehension is very good"
1 Comments:
that's awesome! do you have to have a certain proficiency level to interpret/have a specific job?
sonja
Post a Comment
<< Home