Monday, January 23, 2006

nine hours later... a more positive perspective

After a good half hour of having a nervous breakdown/meltdown about housing, I realized I was just going to have to take it in stride since it wasn't going to change. "Housing assignments are now final, and you will not be able to change your housing from this point forward. Please remember that the Institute for Study Abroad guarantees housing, but not your first choice."

So, my mom and I sat down to try to figure out where exactly this 8th choice housing was located. And, as it turns out, it's in a really fucking cool place. My apartment will be located in what is referred to as the "City Center." It's really obvious on the maps that it is the center of the city. Just trust me- they weren't kidding when they said I would be in the "heart" of Melbourne. Frommer's Australia 2006 says about the City Center, "There's some good shopping and charming cafes, and in recent years an active nightlife has sprung up withthe opening of a swatch of funky bars and restaurants playing live and recorded music to suit all ages."

Within the City Center precinct lies the Swanston Street Walk. Eyewitness Travel Guides: Australia says, "Swanston Street, home to Melbourne's town hall and other major civic buildings, has always been the hub of the city... The street is also an eclectic illustration of the city's Victorian and 20th-century public architecture. In 1992, the area between Flinders Street and Franklin Street was converted into a pedestrian precinct until 7pm at night." Well as it turns out I will be living ON Swanston Street... at the very end of this promenade (as it were). Which means, basically, that I will be living right at the tip of one of the coolest parts of Melbourne, and right on a tram line that runs directly to the University (if I ever don't feel like walking the 20 minutes or whatever it is). All the other places I wanted to live (my mom checked—I wouldn't have, for fear of being disappointed) are also 20ish minutes away from campus but in the direction AWAY from the City Center.

P.S. Hopefully I will have a pretty apartment. Help me think positive and keep your fingers crossed for me. Smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home