1. old melbourne gaol 2. socialist revolutionary group
Last night was a "welcome function"/"cultural experience" organized by IFSA-Butler. We had a night tour of the Old Melbourne Gaol (Jail). The Old Melbourne Gaol was the first jail built in Victoria. The jail has been turned into a museum (much like Alcatraz, but not nearly as cool). There were 135 executions in the gaol and there are now accounts of many of them, along with death masks, in the cells. The most famous and well-known execution was Ned Kelly's. (The general population predominantly believed that Ned Kelly was rightfully rebelling against the law and authorities). Hero... villain... ? Maybe you know the story and have your own opinion. Anyway, here is a picture from the gaol:

And... an unrelated story. I was on campus yesterday afternoon intending to go to a lecture titled "A Rough Guide to Uni." But as I was walking around at the student services carnival I stopped at a tent and wound up in a lengthy conversation with a guy passing out information about the 'socialist alternative club', and their new affiliated group called 'students against war and racism.' He said they were having a meeting at 2:00 which I ignored because it was going to be at the same time as the lecture I was already going to. But... it turns out the two lectures were in rooms right next to one another. I saw the same guy again as I was walking to my lecture, paused, questioned why I was going to a potentially boring lecture, and decided to go hear what the socialist revolutionaries of campus had to say instead. Definitely the right decision. Very interesting, well-articulated group of people. No picture for that... just thought I would share!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home