random facts and small adventures... in no particular order
look both ways before you cross the street: It's a good thing I'm not driving in Australia because I can barely manage to walk while *other* people drive on the left side of the road. Even when I get to an intersection and consciously think about the direction of traffic I still find myself instinctively turning my head to the left. Even when I turn to the right to check for cars I turn to the left before crossing... as though there might be someone driving who is thinking the same way I am while walking. You would think that that would mean I was quite safe crossing the street because I was looking both ways. You would be wrong. I nearly got hit by a car the other day. And the rest of the time I look like a dumb American, I'm sure. I really think if I get injured while in Australia that will be how.
swanston street trams: The fact that you can't drive down Swanston street during the day doesn't mean it is only pedestrians— it is bustling with trams at all hours of the day.
weather: The weather here is just like summer at home only more beautiful. Foggy in the morning... sunny a couple hours into the day. And it's warm and light out 'till late. Amazingly pleasant. You have no idea how glad I am I chose to come here instead of going to England.
american reputation: It really isn't surprising that Americans have the reputation they (okay okay, we) do. People really do feel the need to go out every single night and buy drink after drink at pub after pub. So far all my drinks have been free. Wink. Oh having drinks bought for you. (I went to this "reception" at the Prince Alfred Hotel Pub put on by the study abroad organization to introduce new study abroad students to Aussies who have studied abroad. "A great way to meet some locals and hang out at one of Melbourne Uni's local pubs.") You would think that as soon as I opened my mouth I would be immediately recognized as an American... and thus fall straight into the obnoxious and politically terrible category. But one of the women I was talking to at the pub (not Prince Alfred's, but the one down by the river from a couple entries ago) asked where I was from and if I was Irish. Haha.
break dancers on library steps: When I got back from my flying trapeze class there was a large crowd of very excited people on the steps of the library across the street from my apartment. So I walked over to check out the scene and discovered that there were people break-dancing on the steps of the library! (No not actually on the steps, on the flat portion between sets of steps). This city is amazing.
queen victoria market: The Queen Victoria Market is incredible! It is like the biggest farmer's market you will ever see... and it's there five days a week. From here on out I am going to try and shop at the grocery story (which by the way is a Safeway) as little as possible.
sustainable living festival: All weekend here there is a 'sustainable living festival' happening, just down the street from me. So Laura (IFSA-Butler person) and I ventured down to check it out. Very Berkeley. Very cool.
auslan: Also, while I was at the sustainable living festival I saw people signing in Auslan! Very exciting. But it made me both happy and sad... (to choose fantastic adjectives) b/c it was great to see but such a bummer that I couldn't communicate with them.
date: They write the date backwards here. Actually I think we write it backwards, it makes much more sense to go from smallest unit of time (days) to largest (years). So today is 19/2/06 here rather than 2/19/06. Perhaps more logical, but still confusing.
swanston street shops: When you walk down the street here during busy weekend hours you are bombarded by sales people calling from their stores and overhead speakers advertising products in stores. On Swanston street there are literally people standing in the doorways to stores with wireless mics trying to lure shoppers into their stores. It is very unappealing as far as I'm concerned, but I suppose all part of the experience.
toilets: Almost all of the toilets here have two flushers (push-buttons on the top). There is a half flush and a full flush... so you don't use more water than you need... or so I presume. Kinda cool.
2 Comments:
it's so much fun to follow your adventures on this blog! seems like you're building a life in melbourne really quickly. so exciting that you've found a flying trapeze class and farmer's market and neat people!
Lili
I think that the US is one of the only places where we write the date backwards just as we are the only place that doesnt use the metric system which is so anoying because i can never figure out the temperature, or distance, or anything because im not use to metric.
Post a Comment
<< Home