Wednesday, February 15, 2006

suzuki night market

This post could really be added to the end of the last one but I've been yelled at for adding to posts after posting them... so it gets its own post even though it was just the evening of the zoo day.

The Queen Victoria Market is a huge open-air marketplace in Melbourne... about a 10 minute walk from my apartment. The complex is 17 acres and (according to a guide book) attracts 13,000 visitors each week. There are about 1,000 (again a guidebook number) venders that sell fresh fruit and vegetables, organic food, and lots of foods specific to different cultures. I haven't actually been there during it's daytime hours yet but every Wednesday night (from November 30th to March 22nd) from 5:30-10:00 there is the "Suzuki Night Market." The small flyer I found about it read: "Suzuki Night Market: where the weird and wonderful come out at night! It's the place to be this summer for: world food, eclectic wares, bars, live entertainment, and a great night out!" So, of course, I had to check it out!

And it is incredible. Ginormous. Remarkable. It was like a cross between a crafts fair, a flea market, a farmer's market, a fair, and an outdoor concert. Wow. And so... here are my attempts to capture some of the buzzing Suzuki Night Market atmosphere in photograph form:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home