water polo!
During orientation week (o-week) there was a "clubs and societies recruitment expo." So, naturally, I went to check it out. I put my name on some mailing lists for things like the socialist alternative club (cuz their meeting was awesome), a club that promotes/works towards the campus buying only free-trade goods, and a couple other very “Berkeley” clubs that I already can't remember. None of them struck me as thrilling things I would want to attend every week... but I figured it was the time to sign up to get potentially interesting information. I also signed up for all the queer mailing lists (social, political, cross-campus queer network, and I think one other). Anyway, I wandered over to the sports clubs area with nothing in particular in mind. And... stumbled upon the water polo team. I asked if I needed experience... and they said I definitely didn't but seemed excited about my synchro treading water background.
So I signed up for their trial-run membership (basically) and went to their first practice last night! And it was fucking awesome. I had a blast. I was treading water non-stop for an hour and a half. So... I'm trying a new sport, but sticking to the water (where I'm strong, comfortable, happy, etc.). I figure I've done almost everything else in the water (synchro, racing, a little diving...). I'm bringing my athleticism to a team sport with a ball— it's a new adventure for me. I just have to amend the fact that I grew up without really ever learning how to catch and throw. I will amend that quickly because I think the phrase "throws like a girl" should become a compliment in our society. There are some hot women athletes out there. I won't give them a bad name. Promise.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home