Sunday, March 12, 2006

adventure weekend

This weekend was "adventure weekend." It was a weekend trip included in my IFSA-Butler program. We spent the weekend in Grampians National park in a wonderful little retreat area... but mostly in the outdoors. There actually is not a ton to write about this particular adventure except to say that it was wonderful to get out of the city for a whole weekend and be able to hike up a mountain and rock climb instead of walking around city streets. There are still a whole host of very obnoxious people that are part the group but I tried to just remove myself from their presence and enjoy some moments of solitude and fresh air. We were split into three groups for the weekend and rotated through three activities: a hike, a tour of the area, and rock climbing.

Saturday morning I hiked Mt. Abrupt/Mt. Murdadjoog. I was with the group that signed up for the more challenging hike so we didn't have any complainers. We got the morning cooler air and pleasant breezes and we certainly sped up the mountain, but it was quite pleasant. (I kept up with the athletic six-foot blokes just fine, thank you). Here is a picture of me at the top of Mt. Abrupt with the spectacular view behind me:


Saturday afternoon I went to Brambuk National Park and Cultural Center (an Aboriginal heritage center) and the town of Halls Gap. This particular activity seemed like the activity they created just to make a third rotation. It was not particularly exciting (the cultural center was primarily a gift shop). However, to get there we drove past a *huge* section of forest that had been destroyed in a forest fire. There are miles (or kilometers...) of black, burned trees. But... they are black with green foliage. So I asked if the green was other plants growing on the burned trees or... what. It turns out the trees here have adapted to forest fires since fires are so common due to the dry heat. So the trees burn... but don't actually die. And then they begin the process of regrowth. Here is a picture I took trying to capture this phenomenon:


Sunday morning I went rock climbing and ab sailing! It was a blast, simply because rock climbing and ab sailing are a blast. Here are two pictures of me. Neither is particularly flattering... but here they are anyway! [On the left is... my ass, on the more fun of the two climbs. On the right is from ab sailing.]














Overall it was a nice weekend. It was nice to be able to really move. [Note for the family: The retreat center (and weekend really) reminded me a lot of Mountain Meadow. Small cabins. Bunks to sleep eight in one room- one bathroom. Wonderful mountains to hike... and incredible meals back at the retreat. Wild animals (no bears... lots of kangaroos and spiders and possums (which are way cuter than opossums). Early nights for early mornings. Dirty feet and hiking boots. The whole deal.]

1 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Sari said...

becca, your adventures sound just as exciting between rockclimbing, auslan, trapeez, kangaroos and koalas! I love reading your blog, and hearing about all your adventures. I miss you! let´s have a skype date sometime! -Sari

 

Post a Comment

<< Home