the commonwealth games!
A post about the Commonwealth Games is necessary. The Commonwealth Games are being held in Melbourne this year and it is a *huge* deal. I personally had never heard of the Commonwealth Games until I started looking into what would be going in Melbourne during my semester abroad. The United States is not a part of the Commonwealth, and thus, insular society that we are, does not advertise, publicize or in any way enlighten the average person about the Commonwealth Games. So I will attempt to fill you in.
The first Commonwealth games were held in 1930 (in Canada). The Games are held every four years. For the first twenty years the Games were called the "British Empire Games." They were then called the "British Empire and Commonwealth Games," then the "British Commonwealth Games," and finally they "Commonwealth Games." The countries that are part of the Commonwealth Games are all countries that were, at one point, members of the British Empire (with the exception of Mozambique). This makes the Commonwealth Games an international Games where all the athletes share a common language; as a result the Commonwealth Games are known as the "Friendly Games."
The Commonwealth Games is as big a deal as the Olympics for those countries that participate. For many countries the Commonwealth Games are in fact *more* important than the Olympics; Australia is one of those countries. Which makes the fact that the Games are being hosted here an even bigger deal. The site for the Commonwealth Games is chosen seven years in advance. So not only is this a big deal. It is a long-anticipated big deal.
"The Commonwealth Games sports programme consists of a minimum of ten sports, five of which are obligatory - athletics, aquatics - race swimming, lawn bowls, rugby 7s (Men), and netball (women)." Note: netball is not basketball- they are different. There are 21 events in this year's Commonwealth Games. I have tickets to a Rugby 7s game! (Super cheap back-of-the-back tickets... but tickets nonetheless. (I would have gone to see an aquatics event but all the tickets for those events were sold out before I even arrived in Australia.))
And. As though this weren't enough. In conjunction with the Games is a huge arts festival: Festival Melbourne 2006. So in addition to everything that comes with an international Games there will be, in Melbourne, 12 days of non-stop music, dance, circus, street theatre and visual arts from all over the world. And everything is free. I can't even begin to explain to you how much incredible stuff is happening in this city in the next couple of weeks. You can check out the website if you want. And... check back! Because when I have moments to breathe I will be posting about my adventures! It all starts day after tomorrow...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home