Saturday, March 25, 2006

days 10 & 11: the last days

On day 10...

I went *back* to the Luminarium (it really is *that* cool) and checked out Luna Park while I was there (b/c it's right there- small amusement park by the beach). Then I night I went down to Federation Square at night to see/hear 'Sally Ford and the Pachuco Playboys.' Here is the description: "Playing classics from the Buena Vista repertoire, original Latin compositions and a shot of NuYoRican Latin soul from the swinging 60s, the Pachuco Playboys have an intuitive Cuban groove. Take Sally Ford and Patrick Cronin from award-winning tex-mex band Texicali Rose, add a dream rhythm section, and you have one of the most danceable and exciting Latin acts in the country." It was basically an outdoor dance party in Federation Square. Good times.

On day 11...

I checked out the "Tribal Expressions Indigenous Arts and Crafts Market" at City Square. It wasn't quite as exciting as it sounded like it might be. (Didn't find any earrings for you mum :(). I also walked around a little and enjoyed the craziness of the street performers. Then, lastly (sad face) I saw Kutcha Edwards and Bomba perform at Federation Square. Both Kutcha Edwards and Bomba are Australian. Here is the blurb about Kutcha Edwards: "A former footy player, community worker and National Indigenous Person of the Year, musician Kutcha Edwards is a Melbourne icon. For the past decade he's been the lead singer of Blackfire, one of Australia's most popular indigenous rock bands. Now at the head of his own band, his songs cover a range of issues from comments on racism and beating alcoholism, to his forceful removal from his family as a child." And... here is the blurb about Bomba: "Australia's funkiest dance/reggae band, led by the irrepressible master of groove and multi-instrumentalist, Nicky Bomba. ... [A]n eclectic and righteous party blend of rhythms, beats, dubs and funky soul... some of the most intense dance grooves, rich harmonies, powerful horns and soulful original material this side of the planet." Yep, that's right, I'm not bothering to write my own blurb about either one. It will suffice to say that it was wonderful to end the two weeks of Games events by dancing outside under the stars to an upbeat dance/reggae band, surrounded by enthusiastic Australians.

The games end tomorrow. [I'll be surf kayaking I'll day so I'll miss the last day of events and the clearing out of the city- I'll be sure to post about my trip.] It will be nice to be able to get on a tram without immediately feeling like a sardine. And it will be nice to cross major intersections downtown without being herded by Games police. It will be nice, in general, to have the city be slightly less full. But it is most unfortunate that the constant supply of free (and outdoor) music, dance, and art will be gone as well. The past two weeks have been spectacular. Hectic, busy, crowded, overwhelmingly stimulating... and amazing.

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you dont get the city free of crowds. Not yet at least. The Grand Prix is coming to town and from what I heard, the same number of people will be coming to Melbourne for that as the Commonwealth games, but for a shorter period of time. More people all at once. Crazyness

 

Post a Comment

<< Home