Thursday, March 30, 2006

"spring" break plans

It isn't actually spring break because it isn't actually spring here— it is fall. But I have a weeklong Easter vacation nonetheless. So... I'm traveling! I was going to just create a post after I got back with all of the details and stories and whatnot but... I don't feel like editing my paper so I'm posting now. This way I won't have to be compulsive about posting immediately after I get back. Though I will be sure to post pictures (and probably another post) when I return.

So what, you ask, am I doing? Laura and I are traveling together and we are, in fact, doing *two* things. We are going to Alice Springs/Uluru and Cairns/The Great Barrier Reef. [Notice the wonderful map I found, which shows you both the cities we are flying in to and the reasons we are flying there (you will notice that Uluru and the Great Barrier Reef are, in fact, the only natural formations labeled on this map which otherwise only labels the states and major cities). They are... the must-sees of Australia.]


Saturday April 15th we leave Melbourne and fly to Alice Springs. We will arrive in Alice Springs before noon and have the day to ourselves. Then on April 9th at 6:30am we begin a 3 day adventure tour (through STA travel) called "Uluru Safari." On the first day we go first to the Outback Camel Farm where I fully intend to go on a camel ride. Then we go to Uluru/Ayers Rock. After that (this is still day #1) we go see Kata Tjuta/Olgas and hike the Valley of the Winds. And... we go back to Uluru to watch the sun set behind it. On the second day we wake up at the crack of dawn again to see the Uluru sunrise and check out the Aboriginal art sites at the base of Uluru. We visit the Cultural Centre and then head off to Kings Canyon. On the 3rd day we "climb and explore Kings Canyon viewing the impressive formations of the 'Amphitheatre,' the 'Lost City,' the picturesque 'Garden of Eden,' and the breathtaking North and South Walls."

The next day (Wednesday April 19th) we fly from Alice Springs to Cairns. In Cairns we have a 5 day package: "Wet 'N Wild Raging Thunder." (Really three days of planned activities). On Thursday April 20th we get picked up at 6:30am, once again, and go white water rafting all day! Five hours of grade 4 rapids... and a barbeque in the forest. The next day we head out to see the Great Barrier Reef on a catamaran which has both an underwater observatory and... an easy-access snorkel platform. They give us snorkeling equipment and we get to check out the reef! The next day we go to Fitzroy Island. And... we can choose from a list of optional activities one of which is "ocean trampoline." I don't know what that is yet... but I'm going to find out! Sunday April 23rd and Monday April 24th we have time in Cairns. We'll see what excitement we come up with! And then we fly back to Melbourne late Monday night. (And Tuesday is ANZAC day so we have a day to recuperate before returning to Uni classes at 9:00am on Wednesday).

So... those are my travel plans and I'm juiced! I didn't think I was going to be able to get to two totally different places over break (Australia is literally as big as the United States) and I'm thrilled that we figured out how to make it possible. Grin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home