Wednesday, June 07, 2006

last weeks in melbourne

I can’t believe I’m leaving. It isn’t real. There are lots of things I have wanted to do before I leave (gah!) so I am spending my last three weeks in Australia splitting my time between studying for exams and cramming in last adventures in Melbourne.

The morning after I returned from my Tasmania trip I woke up at 7:00am to take advantage of a spontaneous and random opportunity to drive while in Australia . Becca B. had rented a car for a couple of days and had to return it by 9:00am but get it out of its parking space by 7:30. So… I got to drive in the right side of a car and on the left side of the road. You would think that one of those two things would be the weirdest part of the backwards experience, but what actually threw me off more than anything was the fact that every time I went to turn on the turn signal I instead switched on the windshield wipers. Very startling and perplexing and disconcerting, particularly when I hadn’t even really consciously thought about turning on the turn signal. It really is remarkable the things that become instinctive. It was a thoroughly enjoyable and exciting adventure (especially since it was rush hour in the city). Here’s picture for proof:


Saturday June 3rd was an absolutely beautiful day. So… we went to the beach! It is winter here and it was not, by any means, beach weather. But it was beautiful and sunny— a wonderful day to be outside and a perfect day to take pictures at Brighton Beach. Brighton Beach is well known for its brightly painted “beach huts” or “bathing boxes.” The colorful structures are on the sand, right near the waters edge. People store stuff in them, and use them as private changing rooms. The [only] one that was open/being used while we were there had just a couch in it and then some beach chairs hanging off the wall and some miscellaneous boxes of stuff. There was a couple sitting in it looking out over the sunset and drinking wine. Very picturesque:




[from left to right: me, becca b, danielle (friend of becca’s from home), sara e. (neither of my roommates)]

Monday June 5th was the last night of my Auslan class. So… instead of having class we met up and had dinner at a pub. My teacher (Lorette) invited a friend of hers who also brought along another friend. I ended up sitting and signing with the three of them (all Deaf) * long * after everyone else had left. And it was absolutely amazing. I found that I was able to understand nearly everything they were saying, despite not always being able to reply to the extent I wanted. They were totally interested in my signing background (and other miscellaneous stories about my life and travels in Australia) and didn’t mind being patient while I struggled with my limited Auslan. Dianne was surprised that I hadn’t met anyone else in the Deaf community besides Lorette since being in Australia and we exchanged contact information. She said she would try to think of an upcoming Deaf event or social gathering for me to go to before I left Melbourne, and said if nothing else we should go out for dinner again. I left the evening feeling as though I had fallen in love with signing all over again. It makes my heart soar, it really does. I was so elated I was practically dancing as I waited for my train on the station platform.

The Observation Deck is on the 55th level of the Rialto Tower. It is 253 metres (823 ft) above the ground and is the tallest office building in the Southern Hemisphere. The observation deck allows you to walk around the entire building and gives you a 360-degree bird's-eye-view of Melbourne and 60km to the horizon. Sarah L. (roommate) and I went and caught the tail end of the sunset and then were able to see the lights of the city at night from above— it was absolutely spectacular. Here are a couple pictures of my city (wink) from above:



It somehow doesn’t seem fair that just when it’s all starting to fall into place… that’s when my time is up. I’ve got the solid group of American friends. I’ve got the gay boys who… make everything perfect. I’ve got the Deaf womyn welcoming me into their community. I’ve got the Melbourne kids who are eager and excited to show me underground life. And I’m leaving. I guess that is what I get for choosing to spend my junior year away in two incredible places. But if I had to do it again… I would do the same thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home